Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day

Today, I started painting. I still need to go make and refine a bit after this coat has dried completely. I used to use a gesso that was mixed with raw umber (one of my favorite colors) but I don't have any more of that, so I used acrylics. I have a stain medium that works well for glazing on Sculpey.

These are the paints I use a lot! White with raw umber and raw sienna. I like the raw as opposed to the burnt because they have a nice yellow/gold tint that I like.
Here he is all painted. Now to the tail. I had thought the tail would be covered with fabric, but now, I think it should be lion-colored. I covered the base with Creative Paperclay. It can be a pain to work with, but it looks great. As it dries and even after, I can add more clay to is and define the shape. It's a much smoother surface that the instant paper mache', but more expensive, which is why I use it as a top coat.

Now back to the giraffey guy. I had a couple packages of this stuff called Darwi. It's a lot like paperclay. I can't even remember where I got it and can't find it online, but I'll use what I have and use paperclay going forward. Here it is in process...

And here is the first coat. As it dries, I'll add features and details. Ang's Cylops looks like he likes this one.

I'd like to work on some little all Sculpey guys. If I make a bunch of little armatures, I could bust them out pretty quick! I'll let you know how it goes! 


Gin said...

I'm in love!

Flora's Pond said...

Wait until you see him with hair! I've figured out the fabric for his clothes, I just need to go buy some velvet.